Wednesday, July 20, 2011

LAPH Riot

My goal is at least one blog post a day for the next 60 days.  I'll take something I've read and comment and share my thoughts.

LAPH Riot is my new email address and name. LAPH is an acronym for Lesbian Atheist Progressive Hermaphrodite - a fun combination of four things that are major definers of my life.

L - I'm a lesbian. I came out in 1999 when I was 28 years old after knowing deep down that I was a lesbian since college.  I missed out on a lot of fun I think coming out so late, but better late than never.  I've been in a committed relationship for coming up on 5 years.
A - I'm an atheist.  I've always been interested in religion but was always outside it, thinking "do they really believe this shit?"  I don't think I've ever really believed and it is only recently that I've found a community and a purpose behind embracing my atheism.  I think it is an important part of my identity and it is important for more people to fess up to the fact that even if it makes you feel good, belief in god and woo is detrimental to life.
P - I'm a progressive.  I'd love to be a liberal or a Democrat, but you just have to hate the political parties and what they stand for, or more accurately fail to stand for.  I think progressive fits me better - I think the world is getting better and better, with more freedom and equality as society evolves from our base instincts.  There's far more to do, but I am glad I live now rather than at any previous time, and although there are plenty of un-evolved troglodytes out there, I look forward to a bright future.
H - I'm a hermaphrodite.  Well, technically a pseudo-hermaphrodite and more commonly called intersexed.  I have a condition called Partial Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome (PAIS) and the short story is I am a woman who has XY chromosomes, some different physical characteristics and what I like to believe is a somewhat unique point of view.

And Riot - well, I thought it went together well with the LAPH/Laugh word play and I love the old school term for a good wild time or someone who is consistently challenging or witty. It's my blog so I get to pretend I'm witty.

I want to use this blog to explore ideas and thoughts I have about these subjects and anything else that strikes me as important.  I hope people enjoy what I write and I hope to get some feedback too.  Thanks!

LAPH Riot
You just gotta laugh...

No comments:

Post a Comment